Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Voting for a slave in the White House?

"I'm not voting for a N"...

"Dad," E said, "he used the 'N' word!"

I was stunned.  I was hurt.  I was sad.

Recess talk about the election among seventh graders.

E is one of few democrats at his school...or "Democrap" as a classmate so nicely put it.

Jesus was for the poor.  Democrats are more for the poor than Republicans.  Yes, the poor should pull themselves up by their bootstraps...but we need to provide the bootstraps.

Talking about  race is hard for all of us.   To me, the spirit behind the words is more important than th words themselves.

E told his friends that "they" have been here as long as we have.  His friend said "Yes, but they were slaves, and I'm not voting for a slave!"

Race is a factor in this election.  The NY times has an article today about how the young (college age) see it.

Sadly, another factor is ignorance.

Obama is a good man.  McCain is a good man.

E said one of his classmates said she prefers McCain because he has more experience.  I told E that that is a respectable opinion.  

But to judge because of the color of skin...not in this Democrap household!



No comments: