Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

"In the name of no father"

Interesting title to an article in the Gresham Outlook.

A T shirt they sport says "Your Friendly Neighborhood Atheist".

Morality does not depend on there being God, or a god.

I can see the attraction.  I am good because I am good, not because God is going to pound me if I am not good.

By equating religion to guilt, I suppose that not believing in God is freedom.


“As a Unitarian, I think we would not ridicule somebody else for their beliefs,” Knox says. “We’re humanitarian. We believe in compassion.”

Which is one reason why Tuppman, for example, says she’s never liked the Christian story of a loving God sending Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, nor for that matter, the doctrine of original sin, the idea humans are conceived in a state lacking holiness resulting from Adam and Eve’s fall.

“I didn’t ask to be born, and I thought why should I have guilt on top of it,” Tuppman says.



I don't have enough faith to believe that God does not exist.  I am not comfortable enough to believe that my own personal morality is all I need.

God loves me.  God loves you.  

I don't have enough faith to believe otherwise.

No comments: