Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Newspaper irony

I like reading Leonard Pitts' columns. He writes for the Miami Herald, but I use to read it in The Oregonian. Since I know longer have time or patience, and I stopped subscribing to, The Oregonian, I catch Leonard's column online, more specifically, as a RSS feed through Google Reader.

Herein lies a problem, the death of the local paper, according to Pitts' recent column. I read the column online, discussing how online news is killing the local newspaper. Irony.

I don't wish to see the local paper die, but reading papers online is much easier for me. I peruse the New York Times, The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and many others. Interesting headlines catch my eyes. Another thing I have against the paper newspaper is that the news is at least six hours old.

Here is news I can hardly believe, the eminent demise of the New York Times.

I know we need to put up with ads to support online news sites, but please stay away from the annoying popup ads, and the long intro screens that force you to watch or read an ad.

There probably is not the online ad revenue available to support the local newspaper staffs of the past. Then again, there are now bloggers on every corner to provide more localized news than ever before, if you know how to dig for it.


No comments: