Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hijacked once more (Part 1)

My dreams of being a web designer suffered a setback this week.  When you make a website, you need to put it on a server where people can access it.  I rent space from a webhost for $6.95 a month.

I have been with this certain webhost for a number of years.  They were a highly rated webhost when I first started with them; now they aren't on the highly rated list.

I am not going to name them because they are refunding me for a half year of service,  which I think is a  big thing to do.

The last few years I have created a handful of websites.  I had one for my church, my son's football team, a chiropractor (who was busy and we never completed the site), and a pastor friend of mine who is starting a church.

I have use Joomla, a open source (free) content management system, to create websites.   I like putting the websites together - organizing and arranging the content, and finding the right modules and components (calendars, forms, etc...) to make the website fulfill it's purpose.

Joomla sites run with php files that work to store and access data onto a MYSQL database.  This is a "Troy" understanding of how things work.

No comments: