Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hijacked once more (Part 3)

This isn't the first time I had my websites highjacked.  One time it was a picture of Saddam with and anti-American slogan.  I thought "terrorism" at first, before I realised there are ten year old wise kids who can hack websites, for no other reason but for the fun of it.

Protecting websites is hard.  You can choose the security level of files and directories.  Overly secured impedes the function of the website; underly secured invites hackers.

Newer versions of Joomla come out frequently.  Updating a Joomla sites is daunting.  Anything that was custom on the previous site, chances are, are gone in the updated version.  I use to google for fixes, then dig through the php files to make them.

Failing to keep your Joomla websites updated leads to hacking.

Google Sites is a simple website program.  After a previous hacking of my domain, I moved my church's website over to Google Sites:


And Jodie and I have our website at:


I like that I don't need to worry about updates.  Google handles all the technical stuff.  The downside is that the design options are limited, but at least it is "Troyproof"!

I felt like a failure the other night when I could not get my domain back up.  I wanted to give up and do no more websites.

But Pastor Roger wants his site back up, this time on Google Sites, so my webdesign work is not through...for now.

I hope Google Sites is hacker proof!

No comments: