Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

True awareness

Lt. Governor David Onley of Ontario, who battled polio as a child, really gets what disability awareness is about:


Onley finished our meeting with an example he regularly gives in speeches, citing a man named Roger Crawford who was born with only partially developed hands and shortened arms yet went on to become a star tennis player and certified coach with the United States Tennis Association. 

Onley heard Crawford make a motivational speech and believes Crawford summed it up perfectly when he said, "The only difference between you and me is that you can see my handicap, but I can't see yours. We all have them. When people ask me how I've been able to overcome my physical handicaps, I tell them that I haven't overcome anything. I've simply learned what I cannot do - such as play the piano or eat with chopsticks - but more importantly, I've learned what I can do. Then I do what I can with all my heart and soul." 



No comments: