Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another tight spot for Jet White

Friday, E had a basketball game at Riverdale Elementary in SW Portland. It is up in the hills.

I initially pulled to the front of the school. I should have parked Jet White, our Dodge Sprinter van, there. But I saw what looked to be the gym, at the other end of the school. I drove around to see if I could park closer.

I found a very small parking lot by the gym, and one handicapped parking spot just for us, as shown in the Google satellite view below.



View Larger Map

It was not until I drove down the driveway into the small lot that I realized how steep the driveway was and that there was not much room for me to turn around.

I parked Jet White in the handicapped spot. I figured I would worry about backing out after the game.

But I worried about it through the whole game!


After the game (E's team won 49-17), we went to the van. I had been worried that I would need to back up the steep driveway. I saw room to turn around, if I was very careful. I backed up, angled, went forward. Someone came out to leave. I pulled back into the parking spot until they left, figuring that the fewer cars in the lot, the better.

After a lot of maneuvering, I got the van turned around.

Jodie had called the school earlier in the week to find out whether the gym was accessible. The lady was not sure, so she went outside to check, and yes, there is a ramp. I never thought to have Jodie ask about where best to park our monster van!

No comments: