Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

One in Seven

Thank you Kay from The Gimp Parade for pointing to the One in Seven logo and it's explanation.

One in seven in the UK are disabled. A source I found (CODI) says one in five Americans are disabled.

I find strength in knowing I am not alone.

Lady Bracknell says:

"We are not brave. We are not special. We are not tragic. We are not heroic. We are not “an inspiration”. We are not the Bogey Man. We are not objects of pity. And we are not the living embodiment of our impairments..."

Some days I would prefer to hide away, rather than out in the world trying so hard to be who everyone thinks I should be --- smart, cheerful, not complaining. Probably more my own attempt at perfection than my attempt to overcome my disability...or are the two the same thing?



No comments: