Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pray for the Disabled in North Korea

Very sad to see the plight of people with disabilities in North Korea

Disabled in North Korea Confined to Homes, Expelled From Capital

Families expelled from Pyongyang for having a disabled child. This is the most extreme treatment I have found in my searching around the internet.

In South Korea, employment is very hard to find for the disabled, according to the article, but they don't face the ridicule and mistreatment that those in North Korea do.

When I attended Oregon State University 20 years ago, a friend of mine who worked at the ESL center coaxed me to be a conversant with a student who was trying to pick up the English language. I met with a guy from South Korea a couple times a week. He was a super guy. I remember he had all these hard science classes, but his most difficult class was writing 121.

I remember he had a desire to help change things back at home. I remember worrying about my speech impediment, whether my English would help him. It never bothered him. He seemed to be as interested in figuring me out as I was in figuring him out.

I may have been the first disabled person he ever got to know.

No comments: