Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Running the slides at church...

One service every month or so at our church I serve as the person who sits at the laptop computer during the contemporary service at our church and advance the slides.

It seems like a simple task...and, it is. Just hit the space bar to advance the slide, or click on the right slide.

But, with a CP brain such as mine, it can be a challenge.

Some verses to praise songs can be sung two or three times. Hit space bar, screen advances, but the last verse is being sung again. The external mouse, if it is hooked up, is too small for me to handle with any kind of accuracy.

I have learned to use the arrow and 'enter' keys to get to the right screen. But yesterday, I kept getting confused.

I am a tech geek. I am the one who built and maintains the church's website. I should not get confused by a computer slide show...but I do.

I arrow down to the right slide, then I hit 'enter'. All is well.

I keep hitting the space bar to advance the slides. All is well, until a slide is repeated and I have already advanced the slide.

I have to start thinking about what I am doing; that is where my trouble begins.

The highlighted line is the slide that appears overhead, but the slide that appears on the computer is the one after the highlighted line. And, since I had been using the space bar for a while, the line where I last used the arrow keys is still highlighted.

So, I advance the slide too far and I need to go back. I hit 'enter'. Instead of being at the slide I want to be at, I am three songs back where I last used the mouse.

I want to chuckle at myself, but people are looking at me. Any misstep at the computer and dozens of eyes look your way.

The screen where the slides appear use to be easy to see whether people were standing or seated. A couple weeks ago we were all surprised when we entered the sanctuary and all the pews were turned 90 degrees. It was hilarious -- all of us trying to find our regular seats -- that weren't their anymore.

The projector and screen have not been moved. It really could not be done easily. Most people get tired of craning their necks to see the screen. They follow the songs as printed in the bulletin instead of following the slides on the screen.

Only a handful of people, including my dear Jodie, are following the slides on the screen.

I am having a CP moment, doing the simplest service duty -- pushing buttons. I want to laugh, I want to cry.

But I don't. People are looking.

I hope God finds something easier for me to do in heaven.

No comments: