Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Yachting

I have just one sailing experience. I was attending a National Science Foundation course in marine science for the disabled during July of 1981. It was held at the Marine Science Consortium at Wallops Island, Virginia.

Craig was from Virginia and had cerebral palsy like myself. Bob was deaf and very athletic. We got to go sailing at Tom's Cove, a large area of water that averaged about 3 feet in depth.

Bob was doing the work. He handed me the thingy (rudder?) to hold as he worked the sails. I just had to hold it. I let go. I just remember Craig and I treading water in our life jackets, the three of us laughing, and Bob getting the sailboat upright and informing me that all I had to do was hold it.

Here's a couple of pros:

APP.COM - DISABLED SAILORS' DESTINATION: CHINA | Asbury Park Press Online

No comments: