Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Debaptism?

I was baptised when I was in high school.  I attended a baptist church at the time.  My wife as baptised as an infant in the lutheran church, as was our son.

I'm acquainted with the controversy over infant baptism, but "debaptism"?   New to me!
 
BBC NEWS | UK | Atheists call for 'debaptism': "with a document of its own.  The 'Certificate of Debaptism' has a deliberately home-made look, with its mock-official decoration and quasi-official language.   Sitting on a bench in the grounds of St Jude's Church, John Hunt intoned the opening lines.

'I, John Jeffrey Hunt, having been subjected to the rite of Christian baptism in infancy... hereby publicly revoke any implications of that rite. I reject all its creeds and other such superstitions in particular the perfidious belief that any baby needs to be cleansed of original sin.'"

No comments: