Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Out of work? Might as well volunteer

This story reminds me how I got my foot in the door at my current job nearly 2o years ago.  I was having no luck finding a job.  I saw an article in the paper about volunteering.

I decided to visit the local state volunteer office.   I was worried of being rejected as a volunteer...I was not having much luck those days.  

Don, the volunteer coordinator in Hillsboro, OR, had a computer sitting on the floor of his office and didn't know what to do with it.  As a volunteer, I used it to created a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to track volunteer hours.  

A few months later I was packing to move to California to look into job possibilities down there.  Don asked Gary, the head of children's services if he could hire me.  The next day, I had a job.

Not every voluntary opportunity leads to a job, but it is something to do and a great network opportunity.


Out of work? Might as well volunteerKATU.com- Portland, Oregon| News: "'It lifts my spirits a little bit — actually, a lot,' said Moberly, 38, who was laid off from his temp job last fall and is getting by on unemployment checks. 'You couldn't place a monetary figure on it. I know I've made a difference and know I made some smiles, even if they're canine smiles.'"

No comments: