Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A birthday card and a givers heart

We usually fail to honor people when we ought.  We wait until they are gone and kind words are the order of the day.

Tonight we were honoring the 20th birthday of our dear niece Manda Jo.  I remember seeing sis-in-law Pam over at Portland Adventist hospital as if it was yesterday...but I digress.

We were gathered around the table at Old Spaghetti Factory.  Pam and Logan were lighting the 20 candles and trying not to set the place on fire.

My mother-in-law (Ma2) started to hand us each a card.  She was watching me as I opened mine.  A piece of paper, nice cat and dog stationary, was secured inside.  It read:

"My seventy-seventh birthday card to you -
Troy,
I thank God every day for giving me you as my son-in-law.  I am very proud of you and honored that God chose me to be your favorite mother-in-law.  Love ya lots, Pat."

As I contemplate her kind words, I realize that her own words reflect the kind of person she is, always giving and preferring not to be recognized.  Who hands out birthday cards on her own birthday?  My dear mother-in-law does.

Her goodness has made and continues to make this world a better place for so many  people.  Her words reveal the kindness of  her heart.

Tomorrow is her birthday.  I won't say how old she'll be...just wouldn't be appropriate.

Happy birthday Ma2...much love from your favorite son-in-law.

;)


No comments: