Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, January 05, 2012

...You need to share it

Yesterday at work a caseworker/friend of mine came over to where I sit doing my nerdy eligibility stuff.  I told him about my new baby, wittren.com. and the desire Jodie and I have to share our story with others.  As I explained our message of overcoming barriers and never giving up, he seemed a little off guard by what I said.

I chalked it off to my uncanny ability of talking too much and annoying people.

Imagine my surprise when that same worker came over, sat on my walker, and told me "You do have a message and you need to share it."

Turns out he had a sister who had very severe cerebral palsy, who was hospitalized at age three and passed away at age six.  After all these years he still had some raw emotion over this.

I hurt for his pain.  I was thankful he shared this part of his life with me.

It also made me thankful for the life Jodie and I have.  The smallest change of circumstances could have made the life we have together impossible.  Without the love and support of family and friends, we would not be where we are.

We all have abilities; we all have disabilities.  It's about focusing on what we can do rather than what we can't.

Yes, we have a message to share.


No comments: