Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, January 13, 2012

You know you are getting old when...

I have had issues with dry, itchy skin for awhile, but lately it has gotten out of control.

Yesterday I visited a dermatologist for the first time. I smiled when I saw a basket of mini candy bars at the reception window. "A way to encourage repeat business," I wondered.

I was thoroughly surveyed...my visit was long overdue.

"You know," the doc said, "you will have to deal with this for the rest of your life."

My mortality flashed before me. "The rest of your life." Yes, I will turn 48 soon, and yes, I am not as flexible and pain free as I use to be, but to hear the doctor say that drilled it home to me: I am getting old!

No comments: