Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Holladay Center alumn

Part way down on the left side of this blog I have a section called "Calling all Holladay Center alum".

Response has be quite underwhelming. It has been up for three years and I have gotten three responses. Now that there is a Holladay Center page on Facebook, my attempt to gather the names of alumn is pretty much useless. Even so, when an alum fills out my Google form and I get the notification by email, it is a bit like Christmas to read their story.

The other day was Christmas. Jerry Pattee went to Holladay Center from 1958-1964. When I responded to Jerry I could not help but note "1964...that is the year I was born!"

Jerry had the same doctor I had, Dr. Cottrell. He has been a volunteer with United Cerebral Palsy for 26 years. He had a 30 year career with Quest Communications. I am impressed because I would guess Jerry has 10 years or more on me. My road to getting employment was not easy. His must of been challenging as well.

Jerry said in an email to me that it is always good to know an older person with cerebral palsy. Our disability does not worsen, but as we age, the way our changing (aging?) bodies respond to our cp changes. Jodie and I are dealing with some of this right now.

We plan to meet with Jerry sometime in the near future. Jodie and I push so hard during the work week that on the weekends we relish our veg time. Jodie and I want to try to put ourselves out there to make valuable connections.



;)



No comments: