Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Making the world a better place

Jodie is a speaker and I am the writer.  Jodie and I have known that from the beginning.  You can tell that from the video we just posted here on this blog.

Video blogging is kind of weird.  Staring into my netbook's eye and talking.  No contact with the audience, no questions to answer - so one dimensional.

When I was in junior high, I was asked to speak to my sister's first grade class.  I can't begin to tell you how empowering that was to me.  These little guys, who perhaps would of laughed at me had they first seen me outside the classroom, we listening to my story and beginning to understand me.

Four or five years later I saw a young boy as I was riding my big yellow trike through the elementary school grounds.  He said, "Hi, remember me?  You spoke to my first grade class."  I was use to kids teasing me.  I would do what I could to avoid  kids because of this.

This little guy empowered me by showing me respect.  I was even more struck by the thought that my speaking to a first grade class years ago produced a boy who probably not be so quick to judge people because of the way they looked.  Seeds of what I said helped make this world a better place.

Making the world a better place - that is why Jodie and I want to do public speaking.

Please look at our new website, wittren.com,  How many people do you know who have their last name as a domain name?  Kind of geeky I would say...

Read our story.  Maybe you are in a group at church, at work, or in an organization who could benefit from our message.  Maybe your child has a class that needs to hear our message - that people who are different are okay.

Making this world a better place...



No comments: