Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Back to webdesign...

It is flustrating! Now I know why I slowed down my web design efforts a wilee back.

I am updating my church's website, rlcpdx.org. Our new associate pastor, Pastor Karl Hester, has taken interest in the site.

He has a weekly devotion that he sends out by e-mail. Currently he is using a myspace account for this, but he wondered if I could add this functionality to the website. I have spent last night and today trying to do that.

I use joomla for the church website. It a great open source cms (content management system). I found three newsletter componants that would do what Pastor Karl wants. One was too simple and not functional enough, one was way to complicated.....I settled on YANC. When I wrote a sample newsletter, and went to save it, it wouldn't save.

Yes, I am pulling my hair out.

I found a nifty widgit from Feedblitz to allow people to subscribe to my blog.

I am testing it out to see if it might be a good solution for Pastor Karl. The main advantage to this widgit it that people can subscribe without being a member, as it is with myspace.

The other night I was trying to create a new website for the church. I had to log in to my hosting account through cpanel to change a file name. I don't know how, but I ended up deleting all this files...the whole website! I don't know how I did that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Troy & Jodie,
Man that sounds annoying. Joomla is a fab product but certainly needs the geek factor to get the most out of it. I'm guessing this won't be useful to you (as you're too advanced) but for many churches there are content management systems which take all the technical hassle out of it. One I can definitely recommend (because our church uses it) is www.Church123.com Easy Church Websites. But there are plenty of other options available (do a search on google for something like "church website design").
Hope that helps somebody.