Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Walgreens...where's that voice coming from?

Yesterday after church, we stopped at Walgreens to pick up a prescription. We were at the drive thru window and were greeted by a woman's voice. The only person I could see looking at the round mirror into the pharmacy was a man. He never came over to help us.

"Turn your car off!" He voice was not too friendly. Our Jet White is diesel, and is loud, so the request was not unreasonable. What was unreasonable was that there was no face to go with the voice.

With the way my speech is affected by my cp, I don't like talking over speakers. I prefer seeing the people and them seeing me so they know why I speak with difficulty. I drop my debit card in the tray and they get my order.

Jodie gave the voice her name. The voice said there was nothing being held for her, that we waited too long to come in. It would take 30 minutes to fill it.

E came back with me later to get the prescription. He shouted into the mic "We need to pick up a prescription for Jodie Wittren!"

Virginia came to help us. She has helped me before. A friendly face with a name tag.

Much better than just a voice!

No comments: