Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Some Success...

For the last week, in my time at home, I have been working hard to update my church's website - rlcpdx.org.

I changed the template, I added the poll, and I got "e-vo" to work. e-vo is a devotion that our new associate pastor, Karl Hester, writes and posts online. People can subscribe to it so that when he writes a new one, subscribers have it e-mailed to them.

I use Joomla cms for the church site. I tried to get various Joomla components to this. I was googling error messages and editing php files. Nothing was working.

I had Karl open a blogger page. I thought I could pull in a RSS feed from that onto the website. Blogger does not produce RSS feeds, but rather ATOM feeds. I tried everything to pull those into joomla, to no avail.

I finally found a free third party program to do the trick, a widgit from Springwidgits. And I found a subscription program with FeedBlitz.

Tomorrow I am having lunch with Roger, a friend from church who ministers to the homeless. He wants a website. He has a good blog going. I am hoping I can help him. I just don't feel real confident in my web design abilities.

No comments: