Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

New disabled parking rules coming to Oregon

Willamette Week had an editorial on SB716, a law that takes effect 1/1/08. It creates two classes of disabled parking plaques - wheelchair users, and non-wheelchair users.

The issue is the over use of the free parking privileges downtown (costing the city bucks), and the lack of disabled parking spaces available to true wheelchair users.

The law, as capsuled on the kptv website:

Senate Bill 716 directs the DMV to create a "wheelchair only" placard -- in addition to the standard disabled parking placard -- for Oregonians needing parking spaces large enough for a wheelchair-bearing vehicle. The bill requires some parking spaces to be reserved for use by wheelchair users only. Use of a wheelchair only parking space without permit will be a Class A offense with a minimum fine of $190.



The dmv website does not reflect this change yet.

I have several questions:

-Jodie and I use scooters. Do they qualify as a wheelchair?

-We use our scooters some of the time, but not all the time. Assuming we qualify for a wheelchair placard, are we breaking the law if we park in a wheelchair spot and don't use our scooters.

-When I use a scooter, parking close to the store is less important. When I don't use my scooter, my endurance is less. Parking close is more important.

1 comment:

The Blunt One said...

I have questions too. I do not use a wheelchair I was told at DMV this month that I can not park in any spaces that say Van Access or Van Access Only. I have noticed at several places I shop they have put up these signs on EVERY one of their disabled parking places. This means I can not park in the disabled parking spots and I am having to park large distances away which make it very difficult for me to shop and make it to my car and back when shopping alone, I do not think this is fair! What good is the disabled parking permit when I can not use it?