Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bats in the belfry?

1987...I had graduated from Oregon State and I was working on getting my drivers liscense. I had talked a buddy into letting me drive to Salem and back to Corvallis.

I returned to my home at the time--"The Mansion". It was a house that was built in the early 1900's. It had been added onto many times. When I was there is was 4 or 5 2 bedroom apartments. The sweetest elderly lady in the world at our church rented it for $85/mo to college kids.

The top floor was condemned, but very fun to explore. Old desks and chairs, broken windows...so much character! That was the fourth floor.

Anyway, I was in the kitchen fixing my tortillas. PB&J, hot dogs, or cheese...I forget what I chose this day. I heard a noise in my living room. Something was flying around, and banging into the walls. It was 3 bats flying around!

I didn't know what to do! I called Tom. He was a former Mansionite, now a married phd student.

"Tom! We have bats flying around in the living room! What do I do!"

I'll never forget his response. He laughed, and then he said: "Bats in the belfry?"

He told me to open a window for them to get out. I did.

This lady should have called Tom:


Women discovers new home is full of bats | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

No comments: