Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Unrecognized heroes...

I work for the state at a child welfare office. I am an eligibility worker. I read notes, dig for information and put together eligibility determinations.

Yawn...I know...

I have been trying to get away from my desk more.

Last week I was sitting outside on my walker...taking in some sun...and observing the goings on in our parking lot. So much happens out there!

I saw a social service assistant with a two year old child. He had waited a half hour for the parents to show up. It was time to take the child back to his foster home.

As they were headed to the car, the parents came running across the parking lot. They had just gotten off the bus. They knew they were late.

Instead of casting any blame, the SSA asked the parents to slow down, catch a breath, and come inside. There was still time for a visit.

As I watched these troubled parents clinging to their child, realizing these parents probably had a long road to go, I was amazed at the professionalism and non-judgmental compassion of this SSA.

I was sad that this kind of story will never make the front page...but it should.

No comments: