Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tech support....

The other day we learned that our phones had stopped working. We use Vonage, a voip service, telephone service over our high speed internet connection.

Stepdad John had done whatever magic is required to make our Vonage service connect to the telephone lines in our house.

We have a internet cable box, a computer router, and a telephone router. Most of the time, unplugging the three boxes and plugging them back in solves any problems. If that does not work, the reset button on each box....eventually this works.

Today, this wasn't working. John suggested what I had tried. I carefully followed the re-boot process outlined on the Vonage help site. I had to call tech support.

The guy in India was friendly and patient. I had a Troy moment (deer with headlight in eyes) when he asked what the phone router was plugged into. I just saw a mass of crisscrossed wires. E figured it out. The guy asked us to plug the phone directly into the router. E brought the wireless phone over, plugged it in, and it worked!

Something wrong with the telephone jacks in the house. Both the kitchen and the bedroom are out. Instead of paying someone to come check it out, we decided to buy a new phone system where the base phone is plugged into the phone router, and separate handsets are just plugged into electrical outlets throughout the house.

I did my homework. I learned about DECT technology. We made our purchase.

No comments: