Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, January 15, 2010

I was at the bar...and this lady was hitting on me....

Friday means lunch at Action Jackson's with coworkers Vicky and Bonnie. Happy hour; if we come in before noon, cheeseburgers are $1.99, as are a platter of fries.

I filled my second punch card today. My next lunch is free.

The waitress knows my name...it has that "Cheers" feel. Action Jackson's is a bar and grill, in the same parking lot as our office.

We dine on the restaurant side of the establishment, but we go over to the bar side to pay our bill.

There have been more people on the bar side lately. When I went to pay my bill today, this guy, who was also there last week, was calling me "buddy" and his friend, and talking about how well I do. A touch condescending...I know...but people are who they are and I am who I am. I'd rather have people talk to me and relate to me any way they know how rather than have them ignore me.

It is hard to explain this stuff to people not familiar with disability. I get by fine, but with my type of cerebral palsy, doing the simplest thing takes effort. Getting my debit card and my punch card out without spilling all my other cards...takes effort. Signing the receipt takes effort. I always ask a friend or the server write the tip on the receipt for me.

I get by fine; it just takes effort.

So this guy at the bar, and other people around him, who are having a "happier" hour than my Happy Hour of $1.99 cheeseburger and $1.99 fries.

I was paying my bill today. Vicky, her husband Doug, and Bonnie was over by the door. I am waiting at the bar for my waitress to process my debit card. A lady at the bar started calling me friend. She grabbed my hand.

I signed the receipt. I asked the waitress to write in the tip. I put my debit card away. I was ready to go.

The lady still had hold of my hand! I could not free it!

I kept jerking and pulling my hand until I was free. I was afraid of being rude, but I had to get back to work.

That lady made my day. She gave me a good story to tell...

I was at the bar...and this lady was hitting on me....

No comments: