Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

A new chapter in our life

Today Jodie took her new power chair into church. It feels like a new chapter in our life.

We dropped Eric and Ma2 of by the door. Today was my day to run the computer power point during service.

Instead of going to our regular spot by Luther Lodge, there would be no room to run our back lift without blocking traffic, I parked in the back parking lot.

Jodie is getting better backing her power chair onto the lift. I decided to ride my scooter in also. It was a little further than I like to walk.

Jodie drove her scooter into the aisle beside the back row where her mother was sitting. I parked my scooter in the corner of the Narthex and walked in to sit by Eric.

Instead of going up front for communion, Jodie asked for it to be brought to her. I went over by her and took communion with her.

Eric was annoyed that I took my scooter in. He sees it as more work, having to help load it.

I don't think he quite gets this new chapter of life that we are in. We have had the lift van for two and a half years now. Prior to that we had a minivan in which we hauled one scooter inside and one outside.

We have been using our scooters since about 2001, primarily for long distances. Now, Jodie will be using her power chair most of the time, and I'll be using my scooter more of the time.

I am getting more use to loading and unloading Jodie in her power chair. It does take extra time, but I can feel God's grace with us.

Part of me wishes that Eric did not need to be inconvenienced by all this. I also wish Jodie and I didn't need to be inconvenienced by this stuff either.

I'm ever optimistic. We are blessed to have the equipment we need and we are blessed to have the courage we need. Some people have neither.

Prayers for Eric. I am searching for a way to make all this make more sense to him.

1 comment:

shawne1960 said...

You are pretty awesome Troy, I'm glad to have met you, and I'm sorry you guys have to be inconvenienced by scooters, but such is life. Hang in there, Eric will come around!