Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Avatar...in 3-D!

We just got back from seeing 'Avatar"...in 3-D.

The 3-D was fun, though at times it was giving me a headache. I think that was because we sat so much toward the front. Jodie saw her first movie from her power chair, so we sat in the front with her. Jodie wore the 3-d glasses, but with her lack of depth perception, it did not make a difference for her. I really noticed the 3-d effects in a few parts, like when the white things were dropping from the "Tree of Voices."

Besides Jodie and myself, I noticed two other disabled women there. One had a walker with a oxygen tank attached, another was in a power chair. When the movie was over, the woman in the power chair was going out someone who was toting a suitcase on wheels who said to her "Too bad they can't make an avatar for you!"

It was neat to see the lead actor in a chair as a paraplegic. Seeing him enter into Avatar form where his mind is in control and his disability disappears...well, that does represent a dream that all us disabled have. The end of the movie where his Avatar love interest saves him in his non-Avatar disabled form was really cool.

I liked the movie a lot, but I could not help but think of the thoughts on the movie I had read earlier in the week. Imperialism. The "conquering the west" push, taking away the land from the Native Americans. There was a pretty obvious mocking of the "war on terror". As a centered lefty, this all made me feel uncomfortable.

I left "Avatar" with a volley of thoughts going through my head: We were awful as a nation to the Native Americans; we like to bulldoze for progress, without realizing we are replacing the better for the worse; the religion portrayed in this movie is way different than my Christian faith; why are we in Afghanistan?

But then I tell myself to shut off my mind and realize it was just a movie...a very good movie,







No comments: